Treadstone 71 Training and Services
Published: Sunday, 15 October 2017 12:43
Treadstone 71 - We See What Others Cannot
||Planning and Build
|Cyber Intelligence Tradecraft Certification
||Threat Intelligence Platform
||Intelligence Program Strategic Planning
||Targeted Adversaries / Dossiers / Baseball Cards
|Cyber CounterIntelligence Tradecraft Certification
||Cyber-Threat Intelligence Program Maturity
||Intelligence Program Build
|Clandestine Cyber HUMINT
|| Vendor Intelligence Feeds
||Policies, Procedures, Critical Success Factors, Key Performance Indicators, Process Flow
|| Campaign Analysis / Analysis as a Service
|Critical Thinking, Structured Analytic Techniques, Analytic Writing
||Geo-Political / Socio-Cultural Assessments
||Case Study Testing - Table Top Exercises - Scenario Development
||Threat and Attack Surface Assessments
||Stakeholder Analysis - Analytic Writing and Dissemination
||Open Source - In-Depth - Contextual
|تدريب مخابرات سيبرانية - سيبر مكافحة الذكاء التدريب
|| استخبارات سيبرانية - تخطيط استراتيجي
|| جمع مصدر مفتوح وتحليل منظم - طرق عدم كشف عن هويته
|| بحوث مستهدفة وإبلاغ - تحليل كخدمة
|Training Fortune 500 and Government Organizations Since 2009
Treadstone 71 Cyber Intelligence Capability Maturity Model
Published: Monday, 14 August 2017 07:26
Treadstone 71 developed a maturity model to help organizations determine the maturity of their cyber intelligence initiatives against the cyber intelligence common body of knowledge (CICBOK). The model provides strategic and operational aspects of your cyber intelligence maturity, where it needs to go, and where you should concentrate your attention to create more value for your business. Nearly 8 years in the making, the Treadstone 71 Cyber Intelligence Maturity Model uses traditional tradecraft as delivered by Sherman Kent and Richards Heuer, intelligence community standards, analytic standards, and experiential knowledge derived from years of training, assessing, and building cyber intelligence programs.
- BREAKING - DRAGONFLY 2.0? -
The Treadstone 71 Cyber Intelligence Capability Maturity Model (T71-CICMM) is a methodology used to develop and refine an organization’s cyber intelligence program. Not only is the model educational and practical skills for learning and developing expertise, but also a roadmap for building a cyber intelligence program. More information is available here:
Treadstone 71 Cyber Intelligence Capability Maturity Model
www.treadstone71.com – www.cyberreconnaissance.com – www.cybershafarat.com
How Much Are You Paying for Your Intelligence?
Syrian violations of sanctions with Russian FSB assistance to manufacture ballistic vests – Not discovered by any organization other than Treadstone 71 - No sensors, no aggregation of thousands of taps – Just hard-nosed open source collection and analysis
Russian malware tied to BlackEnergy / Dragonfly embedded in PLC software at Delta Electronics Taiwan – before Symantec and all the large ‘cyber security’ firms – No sensors, no aggregation of thousands of taps – Just hard-nosed open source collection and analysis
Iranian hackers and their solutions penetration Saudi companies – Alfa-Shell / solevisible – Identified 10 months ago 12/2016 long before FireEye - No sensors, no aggregation of thousands of taps – Just hard-nosed open source collection and analysis
How much are you paying?
Treadstone 71 – We See What Others Cannot
©2017 Treadstone 71 LLC
Treadstone 71 Force Multiplier Intelligence Advisory Services Available to Global Customers
Published: Monday, 06 February 2017 16:19
Treadstone 71 trains, advises and builds cyber intelligence, threat, business, and competitive intelligence programs. Since 2002, Treadstone 71's footprint is the basis for many intelligence programs.
Half Moon Bay, CA – February 8, 2017 - Treadstone 71 announced today enhancements and expansion of their industry leading Force Multiple Intelligence Advisory Services. “Our services deliver actionable intelligence to consumers enabling proactive threat mitigation strategies,” said Jeff Bardin, Chief Intelligence Officer for Treadstone 71. “The intelligence community proven methods, structured techniques, and Kent/Heuer-based procedures increase client awareness of their threat posture while supporting rapid response to their cyber incidents.”
The Treadstone 71 Force Multiplier Intelligence Advisory Services clarifies the cyber threat intelligence strategy while illuminating a path for tactical implementation. In developing this strategy, we adhere to guiding principles. Principles validated when building-out threat intelligence programs from Arizona to Australia. The Treadstone 71 advisory services enable:
Read more ...
Cyber Security Predictions - Not Even Reality TV - Just Daytime Entertainment
Published: Monday, 09 January 2017 17:02
The plethora of 2017 cyber security predictions do nothing but distract practitioners from executing actual controls and methods of defense and prevention. Each year we get slammed with predictions that are never followed, are common sense, and serve to market and sell products and services. The so-called information and cyber security experts, many times self-proclaimed, spew predictions on all potential areas. This is not much more than fake news and methods to direct readers to vendor products. The vendor products that claim to solve these predictions and therefore, become self-fulfilling prophecies. For the most part, once the predictions are published, the follow-up to their success is non-existent. Their purposes are to market and sell, drive perception, manage the market, and drive a false sense of vendor expertise.
Treadstone 71 Training 2017
We should focus on actual problem resolution and change the failed paradigm within which security exists. We continue to propagate vendor products and services that do not work, only treating the symptoms. This is not much different from the pharmaceutical industry that markets pills to you each evening during the news and prime time. Pills that treat symptoms and cause more side effects than they do solve issues. Advertisements that drive up the cost of the product manipulating the market and those that prescribe the 'solutions' to recommend purchase.
The only way we change this paradigm, and I mean we, is to push back on these vendors to solve problems and quit selling products that treat symptoms. We must also correct our own internal behaviors. A few weeks ago, I published a potential list of 12 items to change this paradigm (the 12th is a shameless plug so 11). They are listed below.
We need to forget the Jerry Springer-like entertainment of annual cyber predictions and focus on solving the hard problems we face.
What does Treadstone 71 seek? We seek an end to the noise and an understanding that our information, our intellectual property, and our way of life is under constant siege. We are in a cyber war with skirmishes and battles occurring 24x7. We need to direct the carpetbagging vendors to cease in their war profiteering and take a moral stance in fighting our adversaries. We also need to correct and adjust how we run IT and information security. The list of 11 is below. We welcome your comments, your additions, and your assistance in this call to action to change the failed paradigm.
Read more ...
What is Analysis?
Published: Monday, 09 January 2017 00:54
- This includes integrating, evaluating, and analyzing all available data—which is often fragmented and even contradictory—and distilling it into the final intelligence products, which highlight information on topics of immediate importance or make long-range assessments.
- Analysts, who are subject-matter specialists, absorb incoming information, evaluate it, produce an assessment of the current state of affairs within an assigned field or substantive area, and then forecast future trends or outcomes.
- They integrate data into a coherent whole, put the evaluated information in context, and produce finished intelligence that includes assessments of events and judgments about the implications of the information for your organization.
- Use structured analytic techniques and types of analysis
- Analysts are encouraged to include alternative futures in their assessments and to look for opportunities to warn about developments abroad that could either provide threats to or opportunities for organizational security and policy interests.
- Analysts also develop requirements for the collection of new information. From analysis, we move to analytic writing.
What to know more? Sign up for Treadstone 71 Cyber Intelligence Training
Treadstone 71 Training - 2017-2018 Courses
Published: Tuesday, 27 December 2016 16:28
(SIGN UP) October 16-20 Cyber Intelligence Tradecraft Certification Training - Reston, VA (SIGN UP)
The Treadstone 71 training course follow intelligence tradecraft following standard intelligence community lifecycle including collection methods, techniques, planning, PIRs, and collection tools and targeting with a focus on intelligence analysis. Intelligence production methods and process flows are covered as well as evidence credibility, reliability, denial and deception, and confidence levels. Students are required to demonstrate understanding and use structured analytic techniques as well as various types of analysis including synthesis and fusion of data and information into actionable intelligence. The class covers methods of adapting TTPs and IoCs for hunt and detect and interfaces to incident response.
Sign up for courses here
Current Courses (dates, locations, topics subject to change):
Cyber Intelligence Reston - October 2017 (October 16-20)
2018 Course Dates - Locations TBD
January 22-26 Cyber Intel - Amsterdam, NL
February 5-9 Cyber Intel - Tysons Corners Virginia
March 19-23 Cyber Intel - Chantilly Virginia
April 2-6 Cyber Intel - London, UK
April 30 – May 4 Cyber Counter - Los Angeles California
May 14-18 Cyber Intel - San Jose, CA
June 18-22 Cyber Intel - Reston, Virginia
Aug 13-17 Cyber Intel - Chicago, IL
Sep 17-21 - Cyber Intel - Boston, MA
Oct 15-19 Cyber Counter - Reston, VA
Nov 5-9 Cyber Intel - Denver, CO
Dec 3-7 Cyber Counter
Courses from Treadstone 71 provide foundational concepts and processes in the discipline of cyber counterintelligence with a focus on cyber counterintelligence missions, defensive counterintelligence, offensive counterintelligence, and counterespionage as these realms apply to traditional tradecraft, and how they are or will evolve into the cyber domain. By starting with traditional counterintelligence and progressing to cyber counterintelligence, the student will develop an appreciation for collection efforts, exploitation of potential threats, insider concerns, and the risks and benefits of counterintelligence. The Treadstone 71 courses provide foundational support to business intelligence, competitive intelligence, and behavior analysis functions.
Organizations use our training materials to build cyber operations and intelligence collection capabilities. The cyber threat intelligence training is unique following CIA tradecraft as created by Sherman Kent and Richards Heuer. From the initial cyber intelligence tradecraft course through to clandestine cyber HUMINT, the Treadstone 71 threat intelligence training is an apprenticeship to building a reliable, sustainable, and resilient intelligence and intelligence analysis, analytic writing and dissemination program that delivers what stakeholders require.
Read more ...
Brief on Russian Hacking Activities
Published: Tuesday, 27 December 2016 15:31
The Russian hacking efforts against the West is well designed and planned. The Russian concept of maskirovka has expanded from traditional military aspects of denial and deception to information warfare and cyber psychological operations. Imagine you have hacked a target not knowing exactly what you will find. The plan is to extract information from the initial target, examine the information, recalibrate, replan, while setting new actions of disinformation in play. We believe that the data inside the DNC emails has not yet been fully exploited. It would behoove the DNC and other US officials to examine every syllable of every word to determine what was exposed, determine what the Russians may do with this data, and plan to proactively counter the deception that will come from the Russians. The hacking was but one facet of a larger plan by Putin and his inner circle to disrupt, deceive, influence, and exploit weaknesses in the US including political and social beliefs and movements. EU countries are also targeted especially those with upcoming elections. Their actions have been very effective. Treadstone 71 Training 2017
There is a collective lack of institutional memory among target audiences, namely the West – a significant proportion of which had not even been born when Soviet subversion was a concern – therefore, they don’t have the level of knowledge and subsequent paranoia of baby boomers who used to hide under their classroom desktops in atomic bomb drills. Russia has invested hugely in enabling factors to adapt the principles of subversion to the internet age. These new Russian investments cover internally and externally focused media with a substantial online presence, of which RT and Sputnik are the best-known but only two examples; Use of social media and online forums as a force multiplier to ensure Russian narratives achieve broad reach and penetration; and language skills, to engage with target audiences on a broad front in their language.
Read more ...
The 12 Days of Cyber Christmas
Published: Wednesday, 21 December 2016 20:33
or What I want for Cyber Security and Intelligence Christmas 2016
- All CIOs must have served as a CISO for at least 4 years before being allowed to be a CIO.
- All CIOs must have a CISSP, CISM, and at least 2 technical information security certifications and have been thoroughly trained and qualified to be a CIO. No more cronyism.
- CISOs will never report to the CIO – conflict of interest and a recipe for … what we have now.
- If you are the administrator for a device, you secure that device (servers, routers, appliances, etc.). You are responsible and accountable – Secure what you own. Secure what you manage.
- CIOs and their leadership will be held liable for deploying vulnerable systems.
- All new products (IoT and beyond) must be certified secure before public release. No more figure it out as we go and bolt it on after we have consumers hooked.
- All root access / administrative rights for production, critical, supporting, etc., systems and devices are removed and granted only for approved changes and incidents.
- All written code and script must be written properly. There is no such thing as secure code, only code the works correctly and does not create vulnerabilities.
- All operating systems will be shipped closed and installed closed with a risk rating system for each port, protocol, and/or service. Each modification reduces the security posture of the operating system providing a risk score while automatically offering advice on how to remediate that score with other controls.
- New regulations to enforce security and privacy, demanding disclosure of breaches, fining companies and individuals for negligence are put in place, at once.
- Vendors posting adversary IoCs, TTPs, and other methods that would normally be seen as ‘telling the enemy what we know, i.e., sedition’ will be fined for such activity.
- You will tell yourselves over and over again that contracting with Treadstone 71 to build your cyber intelligence strategy and program is the absolute right thing to do (repeat after me …).
Merry Cyber Christmas from Treadstone 71